Application Delivery (ADX)

Firmware Upgrade of ADX 1000 from 12.5.02b to 12.5.02m

Hi all,

I am new in Brocade community, and it's just recently i work with Brocade ADX devices.

We would like to ugrade firmware of our Brocade ADX 1000 from 12.5.02b version to 12.5.02m. I would like to know if i can do it directly ?

Does anyone use this version and what is your feedback about it ? Have you met a network or system issue?

And any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Kire

Brocade Moderator

Re: Firmware Upgrade of ADX 1000 from 12.5.02b to 12.5.02m

Hi Kire,

If you log in to my.brocade.com and navigate to ServerIron ADX software you can download the release notes for 12.5.02m, here is an extract.

Upgrading an ADX system with a single management module
(From release 12.1.00x, 12.2.x, 12.3.x or 12.4.00 to release 12.5.02m)
Use the following steps to upgrade all codes on a Brocade ServerIron ADX.

1. Copy the correct Brocade ServerIron ADX software image to a TFTP server.
  2. Use the copy tftp flash command to download the software image to the ServerIron ADX from
    the TFTP server.
    ServerIronADX# copy tftp flash 192.168.1.10 ASM12502m.bin primary
    In the example above the software image is downloaded to flash as “primary”. When the ServerIron ADX reloads, it will boot using the primary image. Optionally, you can download the image as secondary.
  3. Reload the system and the following will automatically occur.
  • The upgraded application image comes up and automatically checks for boot codes and FPGA microcode to determine if they are up‐to‐date.
  • If boot codes or FPGA microcode are not up‐to‐date, the images are automatically upgraded and the ServerIron ADX is automatically reloaded. The upgrade will take somewhere between 2 to 3 minutes depending on your system configuration. Do not reset or power cycle the ServerIron ADX during this time because doing so may cause the ServerIron ADX be unbootable next time.
  • The ServerIron ADX will then come up with all correct images.

NOTE: We recommend that customers use the upgrade procedure described above. For debugging purposes, TAC may want you to disable this operation by entering “ctrl‐c” during the upgrade process when the following message is printed on the console:
ALERT: The version checker found that one or more embedded images require upgrade. These files are identified using (*). The
system will automatically reload and perform auto-upgrade in the next 5 seconds… To terminate this auto-upgrade, enter ctrl-c now (not recommended)

Upgrading an ADX System with dual management modules
Note: Use this procedure to upgrade from release 12.1.00x, 12.2.x or 12.3.x or 12.4.00 to release 12.5.02m.
Use the following steps to upgrade all codes on a Brocade ServerIron ADX.

1. Copy the correct Brocade ServerIron ADX software image to a TFTP server.
  2. Use the following steps to upgrade all codes on a Brocade ServerIron ADX.
  3. At the active management module, use the copy tftp flash command to download the software image to the primary and secondary on the ServerIron ADX from the TFTP server.
    ServerIronADX# copy tftp flash 192.168.1.10 ASM12502m.bin primary
    ServerIronADX# copy tftp flash 192.168.1.10 ASM12502m.bin secondary
    Wait for the new images on the active management module to be synced over to the standby management module. The following message will be displayed when the management modules are synced:
    ServerIronADX# sync secondary image: not same
    sync version info: done
    sync_file_ctrl_rt_done 0
    It may take several minutes for this message to display. Do not proceed to the next step until it does.
  4. Reload the system and the following will automatically occur.
  • The upgraded application image comes up and automatically checks for boot codes and
    FPGA microcode to determine if they are up‐to‐date.
  • If boot codes or FPGA microcode are not up‐to‐date, the images are automatically upgraded and the ServerIron ADX is automatically reloaded. The upgrade will take somewhere between 2 to 3 minutes depending on your system configuration. Do not reset or power cycle the ServerIron ADX during this time because doing so may cause the ServerIron ADX
    be unbootable next time.
  • The ServerIron ADX will then come up with all correct images.

NOTE: In a dual management configuration, the standby management module will be automatically upgraded as well.
NOTE: We recommend that customers use the upgrade procedure described above. For debugging purposes, Technical Assistance Center (TAC) personnel may want you to disable this operation by entering “ctrl‐c” during the upgrade process when the following message is printed on the console:
ALERT: The version checker found that one or more embedded images require upgrade. These files are identified using (*). The
system will automatically reload and perform auto-upgrade in the next 5 seconds… To terminate this auto-upgrade, enter ctrl-c now (not recommended)

It is a single step upgrade from 12.5.x to 12.5.02m

There is also a newer version 12.5.02n, you should review the release notes of this release and perhaps consider upgrading to this

As for feedback unfortunately I have no current information although it is same release train as you are running already with additional defect fixes (see release notes) so should in theory contain less issues that the current version you are running.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.