Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Brocade VDX Logical Chassis Maintenance

[ Edited ]

Hi Experts,

I have 10 Brocade VDX switches in a logical chassis. We are brining down the whole data center down for power maintenance. What is the best pratice/procedures to safely shutdown and bring up the switches in logical chassis? Do I need to follow a particular order ?

Thanks,

Brocade Moderator

Re: Brocade VDX Logical Chassis Maintenance

[ Edited ]

Hi lama,

You start from the leaves all the way up to the spine (The principle bridge). Two things to be wary of during the shutdown:

1) To split the Fabric by disconnecting a HUB Rbridge.

2) Making Changes on the Principle Bridge During the MW window.

When bringing the Fabric Up, you reverse the process, Starting with the Spine (Principle RB) followed by the leaves (Starting with the closer ones to the RB first)

All the best with the MW

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you Osama. I have a final question for you. Is unplugging a power cable the only way to gracefully  shutdown the VDX switches?

Brocade Moderator

There is no shutdown command/mechanism if this is what you are asking. So Cutting the power is the way to go.

Some VDX models ,for e.g 6740 series, have an On/Off switch, which saves you from unplugging cables.

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.