Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

VDX 2740 go on protected mode an no more accessible after vcs logical-chassis enable

Hello, 

The switch is an IO module on an IBM chassis

After runing the 

# vcs logical-chassis enable

the switch goto a protected mode an no more accessibele from chassis management . 

Any advise will be very appreciated,

Brocade Moderator

Re: VDX 2740 go on protected mode an no more accessible after vcs logical-chassis enable

Hi,

Is this switch part of a cluster of other VDX switches, does the switch show as part of the VCS logical-chassis from show vcs command when run on another node in the fabric?

When enabling logical-chassis mode on a VDX the configuration will be set to default and the switch will be rebooted with default configuration

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

Re: VDX 2740 go on protected mode an no more accessible after vcs logical-chassis enable

[ Edited ]

Hello Mick, 

It was the first switch that I tryed to convert in order to form the logical cluster. 

there is a way to have access for management enstead the external console port? the console port cable is a miniUSB-RS232 and not shipped with the Flex Chassis IO Module. 

Thank you,

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

When the switch is converted it should maintain it's management IP address even though it is defaultted and as such should still be reachable.  Do you have only VDX 2740 in your fabric or other VDX devices.

The part numbers I have for the mini-USB cable is either 50-1000122-01 or 50-1000059-01 one of these is an ICX cable but this is also compatable.

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mick,

What hapended is that all the switch became protected please see in attachement a printscreen from the Chassis management.

I have a second one on IO1 but I am afraid to do the same think an lost all connectivity operation for the servers, when I try to connect the two switch I have "[FABR-1001], 5186, SW/0 | Active, WARNING, EN4023, Interface TenGigabitEthernet 1/0/45, ESC Config Mode conflict." and this is normal because the IO1 switch are still fabric Cluster and the IO2 on Logical Cluster.

I have opened a case with IBM/LENOVO and will provide a new one, but I am still waiting a feedback regarding the FoD that are enabled on the unreachable one, I don't know how to tranfer them to the new one bacause the two FoD was factory enabked before the shipping of the material, I am waiting the new one in order to see if the FoD are integrated or I have to open a new case for that !!

Kind Regards,

Kamal

Brocade Moderator

Hi Kamal,

I am not sure why the switch you have configured as logical chassis has gone into protected and is no longer reachable, as this is the only switch in logical chassis mode I would expect that it should be principal switch in LC and as such would be available to manage.

As you mention the 'Config Mode conflict' would be expected with one switch on LC mode and the other in FC mode.

I think that you may need to work with Lenovo support to rectify this problem

Regards

Mick

Occasional Contributor

Hello Mike,

When I have logued a case regarding the protectedt mode the IBM support team conclude that the switch have to be changed, from other side when I took a look on the readm file of the NOS6.0.2a that is the last firmware upgarde for the switch I found on the known issue : 

- VCS Logical Chassis mode has been disabled in this release,

And this is not documented on the Brocade NOS admin guide nor the Lenovo documenntation (tips)

The VDX2740 is the EN4023 Switch:  10Gb scalable switch for IBM Flex System Fabric based on the VDX 6740 ToR switch.

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/nos-601a-adminguide/GUID-AEAB8300-8328-4389-935E-8825B8C71839.html

Kind Regards,

Kamal

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.