Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Brocade Moderator

Re: VDX6740 - VXRail Setup!

Hi John,

I beleive your best bet to get this working is make sure that both the Nortel and VDX are running standard 802.3ad LACP on both sides of the LAG

Nortel side set to use LACP and not MLT

VDX set as follows:

interface TenGigabitEthernet 1/0/1
channel-group 1 mode active type standard

interface TenGigabitEthernet 1/0/2
channel-group 2 mode active type standard

mode on = Static LAG

mode active type standard = dynamic LACP

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

Mick.Day wrote:

Hi John,

I beleive your best bet to get this working is make sure that both the Nortel and VDX are running standard 802.3ad LACP on both sides of the LAG

VDX set as follows:

mode on = Static LAG

Regards

Mick

Hello Mick,

Thanks for your reply.

See, that make more sense and I always thought to do it this way since the beginning, to use LACP on both switches as both vendor can understand it and can talk to each other, however, we were asked to use MLT's on the Nortel side instead and static lag was used on Brocade.

However, since you've mentioned this, the Brocade engineer have now came back and recommended the same (to use LACP on both end). I will test this shortly and will update the post.

Cheers!!

Occasional Contributor

johncameron wrote:

Mick.Day wrote:

Hi John,

VDX set as follows:

mode on = Static LAG

Regards

Mick

Hello Mick,

Thanks for your reply.

See, that make more sense and I always thought to do it this way since the beginning, to use LACP on both switches as both vendor can understand it and can talk to each other, however, we were asked to use MLT's on the Nortel side instead and static lag was used on Brocade.

However, since you've mentioned this, the Brocade engineer have now came back and recommended the same (to use LACP on both end). I will test this shortly and will update the post.

Cheers!!

Hello Mick,

Unfortunately, that didn't work either, and we thought of taking a step back and rather than thinking it is a LAG (LACP) issue, I thought of running the trunk over a single link and funnily enough that doesn't work so I am not surprised why the LAG wasn't working as it doesn't even work over a single link. I took the LAG off and put a standard config on the port and did the same on the Nortel end, a simple trunk between Nortel and Brocade, but for some reason it doesn't work.

When the traffic passes through from the Nortel as tagged, it’s it either getting dropped by the Brocades or by the VXRail’s. However, in the similar situation when the traffic is untagged, it works. Hence, whenever we change the port to a trunk port, all the traffic starts to get tagged and therefore gets dropped either by Brocade or the VX-Rail’s. Leaving it untagged from the Nortel end, (in access or untagpvid mode) only one Vlan works at a given time, depending upon which is set as the PVID (either 2 or 203).

I am unable to understand what are we missing here. Is there anyway I can email you the config's from both the vendors to see if anything make sense?

Cheers!!

Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

Hi John,

So for some reason the type of tagging being used by the Nortel is not correct for the VDX

The tagging type must be standards 802.1q VLAN tagging otherwise it will not work

Problem is that I am not that familar with Nortel configuration, but I could take a look.

I will contact you via email regarding this issue.

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.