Ethernet Switches & Routers

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

MSTP

I have MSTP deployed on a FASTIRON switch.  If I disable spanning-tree on all VLANs on the switch does this affect the functionality of MSTP?? 

External Moderator

Re: MSTP

@iammatic

accordly L2 config guide

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/FI_08030_L2/GUID-28C59346-D084-4790-9B2B-AED79B354211.html

Configuring no spanning-tree command on a system that is configured for MSTP mode changes the system to non-MSTP mode.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response Antonio.  This is the same documentation I found.  So I am to assume that MSTP is not running on any of the switches where no spanning-tree has been applied to the VLAN?  

On the configurationg guide it states "When this switch is made, all MSTP instances are deleted together with all MSTP configurations" 

These switches still show mstp instances as forwarding when a show mstp command is run.  They also still have the MSTP configurations??

Any thoughts??

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

If the show mstp shows MSTP running under VLANs then it still is running

The no spanning-tree command under the VLANs has no bearing on the operation of MSTP as this runs under a completely different process to MSTP

MSTP vlan configuration is made under the mstp instance in the configuration for instance:

mstp scope all
mstp name mstp-instance
mstp revision 2
mstp instance 0 vlan 1
mstp instance 1 vlan 2 to 1000
mstp start

So in this case Vlan 2 to 1000 run in instance 1 and Vlan 1 runs in instance 0 (IST)

What are you trying to do remove MSTP all togather or remove from specific VLANs?

Perhaps you can share your configuration and what your requirement is?

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

Hello Mick,

The show mstp command show ports forwarding for instances on each of the 6610s.  I just wanted to verify the purpose behind the no spanning-tree configured on each VLAN.  Does this automatically take place to turn off 802.1d since MSTP is being used on the switch? There are redundant links on the network and the network has not slowed to a crawl so I have to assume MSTP is functioning correctly. Just not sure behind what the purpose behind the no-spanning tree command being applied is.

Thanks for your reply.

Matic

Brocade Moderator

Hi Matic,

The no spanning-tree shown under the VLAN does show that 802.1d STP is off but does not really serve any purpose when MSTP is enabled, in later versions of FastIron OS it does not even show under the VLAN configuration when MSTP is enabled.

It is actually not possible to enable spanning-tree and MSTP at the same time on switch.

I would suggest that your MSTP is working just fine as long as show mstp is showing correct status for VLANs

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

That answers my question. Thank you both very much for the information and support!

Matic

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.