Contributor
Accepted Solution

Replacing the ICX switch in the stack while retaining Unit ID

Hi,

Say I have a stack of three ICXs (7250):

1. Active (Unit ID 1)

2. Member (Unit ID 2)

3. Standby (Unit ID 3)

All three are stacked using 10GB ports (Ethernets */*/1 and */*/3).

Let's assume I lose the second unit (Member), and I receive a replacement.  What needs to be configured on the replacement unit so I can retain the Unit ID?

I'm a bit confused by the Replacing a unit from the stack article:

If the module configuration of the replacement unit matches the configuration on the Active Controller, the Active Controller resets the new unit and upon boot up new unit joins the stack with the same ID was the unit that was removed, and the stack retains its original topology.

Does the module configuration mean the stacking ports? In this case, yes, the same ports will be used in the replacement unit.

But then, there is another condition:

If the configuration of the new unit does not match the old unit, the new unit is added with a new ID based on the next available ID. 

Does it mean I have to import the config from the backup of the failed unit? I assume I'll receive a clean stack unit with no configuration, which means it won't match the old unit, which means the new unit will be added with a next available ID (4)?

Thanks.

Brocade Moderator

Re: Replacing the ICX switch in the stack while retaining Unit ID

Hi,

Q: If the module configuration of the replacement unit matches the configuration on the Active Controller

A:This means all modules must be exactly the same switch specification with same interfaces options and number of ports etc.

Q: If the configuration of the new unit does not match the old unit, the new unit is added with a new ID based on the next available ID.
Does it mean I have to import the config from the backup of the failed unit? I assume I'll receive a clean stack unit with no configuration, which means it won't match the old unit, which means the new unit will be added with a next available ID (4)?

A: Yes this is correct switch will get a new ID and ports will need to be configured to support connectivity

Hope this answers your question

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Contributor

A: Yes this is correct switch will get a new ID and ports will need to be configured to support connectivity

Thanks.  So there is no way to retain the old unit ID?

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

If switch has same interfaces options and number of ports then yes the switch will retain the old unit ID

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.