Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Flow Vision or Top Talker?

Hello All,

Recently few of my NPIV host ports reported a severe bottleneck.  RCA of which I could find that NPIV VIO clients were balanced very unevenly(based on load) across the VIO ports,  

I asked my platform team guys if they have any tool with the help of which we can identify top I/O contributing hosts but as such they don't have any. So In order to do proper balancing I want to configure Flow Vision or Top talker and include NPIV ports in it.

I have two environments: -
a) One has core edge architecture(in which 2 core directors and 22 edge switches in one Fabric) in which Storage boxes are connected to Core and NPIV servers are connected to edge Switches together with other platform teams.

b) Other environment has only two switches in one Fabric and has storage and Host ports connected on both Switches.

We are running on FOS7.4.1.d with fabric vision license is also installed together with other licenses.

Could anyone suggest me which configuration would be better Top talker or Flow vision?

And  if it is flow vision then what is the best way possible to config without any disruption to existing environment .

Brocade Moderator

Re: Flow Vision or Top Talker?

Hello,

You will need to use Flow Vision for that.

It is non disrutuve to implement.

Attached is the documentation about Flow Vision configuration.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Valued Contributor

Top Talker thing doesn't exist in the FOS starting from version 7.4.
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Let me go through this doc.

Contributor

Hello Thierry,

"The specified "*" option for device ports is not available with the egress Switch port "0/27" because it doesn't support learning"

An idea what is going wrong?

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

Learning is supported on 16G capable switches. Is it 16G switches?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Contributor

Hi

I tested on 8GB.  So that might the reason.

My main requirement id to find the "TX " load on NPIV ports based on SID and DID comination what option in "flow" I have to select for 8GB Switch. 

Brocade Moderator

On page 28, there is a good sample of what you can do with result associated.

Contributor

Thanks for your input so far.

Page 28 is giving output based on srcdev and dstdev with port number or WWPN wherein it will show cumulative load on the port whereas my requirement is to get segregate load based on each NPIV client (connected on same port)  with there SID and DID as shown on page 31.  

Contributor

Hello All

Could anyone please help with this.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.