Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

ISL

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have a scenario where I could use a peer review.

We have three FC switches in our environment, they are ISL'd as shown below.

Switch 1 <-> ISL <-> Switch 2 <-> ISL <-> Switch 3.

The plan is to retire switch 2, however its ISL link to switch 3 is still required because there are hosts attached to Switch 1 which need to access a storage array connected to switch 3.

With all three switches in its current state, is it possible to establish an ISL between Switch 1 and Switch 3?  All switches have the same zoning configuration.  I have a escalation support case opened, however I was also hoping to leverage some of the other SAN Admin's experience out there to see if anyone has come across this scenario.

Thank you

Brocade Moderator

Re: ISL

Hi,

yes, you just need to add ISLs between switch 1 and switch 3. Triangular design is pretty common.

Once you enable the first ISL between switch 1 and switch 3 all the traffic between devices on these two domains will be all rerouted to the new ISL(s) only due to lower link cost / hop count / FSPF (Fabric Shortest Path First).

TL

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.