Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

X6-4 FOS upgrade from 8.0.2a to 8.0.2b failes with "Failed to download firmware signature (0x40)"

[ Edited ]

I am trying to upgrade my two X6-4 Directors from 8.0.2a to 8.0.2b but no matter what I try I get the same error.

Firmware is being downloaded to Standby CP. Please wait...
Firmware download failed on standby CP - Failed to download firmware signature. (0x40)
Please use firmwaredownloadstatus and firmwareshow to see the firmware status.

Any tips?

The firmware files were downloaded from Brocade and MD5 checked, all OK.

EDIT: I have tried upgrading through Brocade Network Advisor and CLI. I have also tried upgrading to 8.1.0a with files from Brocade also. Same thing.

Brocade Moderator

Re: X6-4 FOS upgrade from 8.0.2a to 8.0.2b failes with "Failed to download firmware signature (0x40)"

Hi,

which protocol are you using for downloading - ftp or scp?  What is the platform for the server with the ftp/scp service? Are you using the BNA builting scp/ftp server?  BNA version?

There have been issues with the builditin SCP server in BNA, can you try to use the ftp or if needed switch to another scp server under for example linux?

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Re: X6-4 FOS upgrade from 8.0.2a to 8.0.2b failes with "Failed to download firmware signature (0x40)"

Hi,

I am using BNA v14.2 with built in FTP. I have tried both ftp, sftp and scp from CLI (option 1, 2, 3 and 4). BNA is running on Windows.

But the FTP service in BNA is not the problem since it works just fine with other switches. I have tried it on 6505 and 6510 switches with default setting through firmwareupgrade in the Firmware Management tool in BNA.

So it's something specific to these two switches. I have also tried the configure option to see if the if forced signature check is enabled, but that option is not there.

So I am a bit lost...

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

If you login to the standby CP as root and use the ftp command, can you download the signature.tar.sig file?

Have you verified that the ethernet on the standby is set to full duplex (and not HD)? 

And both CPs and chassis is in the subnet?

And no strange firewall rules in place (FOS or otherwise)? 

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

The root account is disabled (by Hitatchi I guess).

The CP0 and 1 is on the same subnet. They are set to DHCP. The reason for the DHCP is that I can't get static to work. I always get this error: IP adresse has invalid network number (9).

The ip range I am using is 10.100.20.0/16 with netmask 255.255.252.0

Not sure if that is related.

EDIT: I have enabled the root account. But not change.

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

0. From 8.0 root access is disabled by default (rootaccess CLI as admin to change)

1. Can you share the output from ipaddrshow please?

2. If you login as root on the standby CP, can you the use the ftp command to connect to the server to access the files?

Occasional Contributor

I changed the root user so it is enabled with "userconfig --change root -e yes" and "rootaccess --set all"

core2fab1:root> ipaddrshow

CHASSIS
Ethernet IP Address: 10.100.20.17
Ethernet Subnetmask: 255.255.252.0

CP0
Ethernet IP Address: 10.100.20.47
Host Name: cp0
Gateway IP Address: 10.100.20.1

CP1
Ethernet IP Address: 10.100.20.51
Host Name: cp1
Gateway IP Address: 10.100.20.1
core2fab1:root>

The standby CP (1) does not accept connections when in standby it seems. But from the active CP:

core2fab1:root> ftp XXbrocade01
Connected to XXbrocade01.XXXXXXXXXXXXX
220 Service ready for new user.
Name (mabrocade01:root): admin
331 User name okay, need password for admin.
Password:
230 User logged in, proceed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
ftp>

Xs to remove hostname and domain name

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

seems to be related to the network if you cannot use ftp from the standby CP to your ftp server - just from completness, what is the output from ethif --show "eth0" on both standby and active?

Occasional Contributor

core2fab1:admin> ethif --show "eth0"
eth0 interface:

Link mode: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
MAC Address: C4:F5:7C:77:3B:18

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr C4:F5:7C:77:3B:18
UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:284697 errors:0 dropped:15330 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:432835 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
Memory:fe5e6000-fe5e6fff

core2fab1:admin> hashow
Local CP (Slot 1, CP0): Active, Warm Recovered
Remote CP (Slot 2, CP1): Standby, Healthy
HA enabled, Heartbeat Up, HA State synchronized

And it's not that I can't use ftp on the standby node. The standby node does not accept SSH connection.

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

@CiASpook

I facing similarly experience in the past with FOS 7.x on DCX Directors.

can you please try follow:

close BNA

connect to Active CP as "admin" and issue the command "hareboot"

after reboot check with "hashow"

connect to BNA and try again with fimrware download.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.