Mainframe & FICON

Contributor

Are the rumors that Brocade is planning to EOL the DCX not the DCX8510 only the older 8Gb true?

We have heard rumors that Brocade is planning to EOL the older DCX units in the near future. Does anyone know when that is going to happen?

Brocadian

Re: Are the rumors that Brocade is planning to EOL the DCX not the DCX8510 only the older 8Gb true?

Brocade always carries 2 generations of HW, current one and previos one. So, today this means Gen5 and Gen4 which are in terms of speeds 16G and 8G hardware. When Brocade releases Gen6 hardware which is few years away, there will be EOS of Gen4. After EOS of Gen4, it will still be supported for another 5 years. I hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

Re: Are the rumors that Brocade is planning to EOL the DCX not the DCX8510 only the older 8Gb true?

Hmm there is no real use case to keep two lines in production while the price difference is negiable and volumes are in favor of Gen5 product and the old DCX has been around for quite a while now. At least that is what I heard from a Brocade employee (sales) last week.

I can't remember when but somewhere in 2014 sound likely

Brocadian

One of the use cases is that DCX 8510 requires a minimum of FOS 7 which no longer supports the old interop mode 2. There is no capability for FICON to cascade between McDATA and classic Brocade switching devices.

If customers for any reason are cascading old McDATA directors to 8G DCX then they can use FOS 6.4.2a which does provide for interop mode 2 support. Of course there are not many customers who need to create a fabric containing both McDATA and Brocade switching devices.

In my experience, another case is that there are some customers that still need to attach to 1Gbps storage which they cannot do when 16G switching is in use. Placing 4G optics into a 8G port of a DCX allows them to attach those old devices.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok fair enough two use cases then Smiley Wink .

But please why still keep McData and 1Gb interfaces, thats legacy stuff.

My opinion >> cut that out of your current gear production environment and move on.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.