SAN Health Utility

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

SAN Healthchecks hangs when it issues the switchshow command

I have 4 300 switches running FOS 7.3.1d. The switches appear O.K. from the fibre side but the healthcheck to all 4 switches stops 5 minutes after issueing the switchshow command.

Also the supportshow and supportsave commands hang the putty session.

Here is what I see in the healthcheck frame.

FOS Version 7.3.1d

Obtaining Chassis Info Sending fabricshow -chassis

CLI responded with 404chr after 2 seconds.

Sending switchshow

Failed to get a response from switchshow after 5 minutes

Try increasing the command response timeout

Telnet activity complete Unlocking program menus.

Re: SAN Healthchecks hangs when it issues the switchshow command

Hi,
Were you able to try the suggestion from the error message ("Try increasing the command response timeout")? This is under Options > General Options.

Also, please make sure you are using SAN Health 4.0.7c from http://brocade.com/sanhealth.

If you putty to the switches and issue switchshow, how long does that take for the command to respond?

Please try these three suggestions and let us know the outcome.

Occasional Contributor

If I putty into the switch the PUTTY session hangs if I issue the switchshow command.

It seems like any command that tries to access the ports hangs.

portstatsshow, portshow, etc.

I'll verify the healtcheck version and try increasing the timeout.

Hi,

That doesn't sound good.  I'd suggest that you raise a support call to get it escalated through to the support experts.

For SAN Health App related items we're always happy to help. (For SAN Health support emailing SHAdmin@brocade.com is the best path as we can exchange logs and screenshots a little easier)

I think you can rule out changing the SAN Health timeout or settings.  For fault finding purposes simplify this right down and take SAN Health out of the equation.  If Putty can't successfully issue those commands, then nothing you do within SAN Health will alter that.

In this case, it sounds like you're having an issue with the CLI session to that switch using any Telnet/SSH client.  I've been at Brocade for a long time and have never seen that before.  If I had to guess I would say the Management Server Daemon on that switch is having an issue??  If you can get to the switch logs, try looking for any error messages relating to MSD. 

That said, I'm guessing, I really think escalating this into support and getting the guys that look at this stuff in detail every day is the best approach.

External Moderator

Hello @gmcdwc and @SH Admin Team Member

is very interesting...

I have had a similar problem some time ago,  Sounds absurd, but that was the problem!

9 from the 10 Switches in the Fabric works fine, excepted this One.

when we run "supportsave " command, to upload on FTP, telnet was frozen and I must kill the OP.

after some troubleshooting, we noted "dnsconfig" on this one switch had wrong settings.

After Setting correct Domain Name and Name Server IP address, the problem was solved.

please check first the "dnsconfig" and/or set one, try again, and let me know.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Antonio, just... wow...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.